Sunday 8 December 2013

The non-date phenomenon

Whilst Cassie has been embracing the transvestive luvvy nightlife over Chrstmas, I have had another one of 'those' weekends involving the non-cross dressing male species.

It goes a little something like this:
Last weekend I stated categorically (can't lie...it's all in the blog) that I was DONE with dating for the time being.  My poor eyes could not take any more humiliation tears and my ears were sick of listening to Muse.

What I forgot to tell you lovely #Bbloggers was that, in fact, during my (embarassingly) short lived 'relationship' with fellow commitment phobe (whom I am now in a comfortable friend zone with) I actually commited a cardinal relationship sin and gave out my number to another guy!
Now, before you unfollow in disgust and slam shut the laptop....let me just try and redeem myself by telling you that
a) I AM a commitment phobe and
b) I genuinely just thought he was someone I could be friends with (I have tonnes of male friends I met in this random manner - I do!!)

So I gave my digits out with no more thought to it, and a few days later I received a text from this guy; let's call him Tom.
We got along on text, all the right 'banter' was there, and I felt my intellectual tick box was, well, ticked.  I also remember pointing at him before he spoke to me and my (impossibly pretty) sister shouting "He looks like Harry Styles!"
So a casual meet up was arranged for Saturday, and I literally put so little thought into it all that I ended up roaming the city prior to this wearing a red tartan skirt and a seriously mis-matched christmas jumper (but who cares...it wasn't a date, right?)

Plus, one BIG deciding factor in my head that this couldn't possibly be an actual date was that, at 19, he was 10 years my junior!  So unless he was some weird cougar hunter I was safe.
I waited in my chosen pub with a glass of (foul) mulled wine, without any nerves or preconceptions.

When he walked in, I saw that actually, he was just as cute as I remembered (still stopping myself from thinking anything more than 'I want to put you in my pocket and just carry you around!'

To cut a long story short and save you from the kind of dialogue I myself detest as a big fat pessimist when it comes to the mushy stuff; I had a GREAT time!  It only occured to me when he gave me his coat to wear when I got cold (classic) and put his arms round me, that this may actually be a date!

Funnily enough the fact I hadn't thought it would or could be made me totally at ease.  And when he kissed me before I left for babysitting duties that evening it felt quite surreal.
We sat in Cafe Nerro and did what I love most on a lazy Saturday: People watching.  It's like a catwalk of crazy and 'seriously, did she get dressed in the dark?!'  Tom also pointed out a few potential 'serial killers' which made me attractively snort white chocolate mocha out of my nose and onto my tartan skirt.

So, what's happening next for me and Tom?  Well, let's just say a second date was arranged within an hour of meeting, and we will be hosting a Christmas jumper making contest (see previous blog for the inspiration) and making mulled wine from  scratch at his!

It's all lovely, cute and pretty perfect right now....but don't worry, I'm old enough and ugly enough to be on my guard a little.  But hey, it is Christmas after all, and maybe sometimes us commitment phobes have to throw away the checklist and just let it happen.

Before I bid you all farewell, let me just add that (rest assured) I will keep you updated with this one!  And a huge shout out to 'Tom' for giving permission to me to write this....see, how cool is that?!  (he may regret if all goes belly up!)

Till next time
(feeling that Xmas spirit)
Scarlett
xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment