Wednesday 27 November 2013

You know you're dating a hipster when...

So, this blog post is taking a slightly different angle.  Rather than blogging about my usual topics I felt it neccesary to tell all of you about a few of the personality 'traits' I've noticed in various guys since hitting the dating scene.
 I've had the misfortune of meeting one too many 'hipsters' in recent months (and it's always ended badly!)  Whilst you may think dating a hipster could be, dare I say it:  Cool, perhaps a read of my hipster checklist will make you think twice!




HIPSTER MEN

  • Buy literary classics for the bookshelf and then ensure a few are laid out strategically on coffee table when you come over.
  • Probably never read these books, but you can bet your peacoat they're tweeting about it!
  • Randomly point at things and say 'that's cool' as if their acknowledgment is endorsement is enough, and there is no room for comment  
  • Buy you a birthday present which they know they'll love, rather than you:   "Oh, a signed copy of Oasis greatest hits album on vinyl that doubles up as a clock...how thoughtful are we?!"
  • Nod their head to any 'cool tunes' they hear whilst in a queue, walking past a bar, eating at a restaurant....oh, anywhere really!
  • Tell you that the new band you love who've just hit number one were 'much better before they went commercial.'
  • Have social media bios with phrases like "I live my life in colour" as if the rest of us mere mortals live in some morose shades of grey
  • Don't like having their picture taken, unless they can be in complete control of the photo editing before it hits facebook.  A sepia tint to an image always makes a hipster feel good.
  • Are the first people to talk about that new Starbucks coffee flavour...and the first to go off it.
  • Copy the style of a hipster celebrity then, when people start making comparisons, claim that actually, they've had this image for years.
  • Tut and shake their head when you get a little bit excited by mainstream (or worse) cheesy pop
  • Take being called 'a hipster' as a massive compliment.

I hope this post has been of some help (and amusement) to you.  I have to say, I have thoroughly enjoyed writing it because now I have my very own hipster checklist to refer back to as I prepare to meet new people!
Would love to hear if you've ever dated/are dating a hipster.  Perhaps you're one yourself?


Until next time...thanks for reading!

Love, Scarlett xoxox

2 comments:

  1. My husband always says I'm a hipster. But I don't hit any of those things on the checklist. So I'm gonna say no. What Hipster likes listening to Abba, non ironically?

    Roxilicious82 @ Simply Roxilicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! You're definitely NOT a hipster! (Which to me is a very good thing!) Refer hubby to checklist and see if he wants to add anything to it! xoxo

    ReplyDelete